Friday, October 30, 2015

Book Review Divergent Reviewed by Abdulaziz


Divergent is a tale of survival, learning to not give up, and fighting back for what is right. Veronica Roth captured what it feels like to fall in love, grief and being betrayed, all wrapped up in a thrilling journey of self-discovery and self-empowerment.

In a futuristic Chicago where the society is divided into five factions each one valuing one important virtue, Candor values honesty, Abnegation values selflessness, Dauntless values bravery, Amity values peace and Erudite values intelligence. You grow up in your parents faction but when you turn sixteen you have to make a choice, choose one faction out of the five, to help you know where you belong an aptitude is set for everyone to take. The system is perfect! Everyone knows where they belong.. but not Beatrice Prier.
Beatrice Prier Abnegation raised has just turned sixteen. She doesn’t know where she belongs. Soon she will take the aptitude test that will tell her where she belongs. But the aptitude test tells her something different, something that will change her forever. It told her that she is Divergent that she belongs to more than three factions, At first she didn’t know what it meant but soon she found out that the Divergent are being killed and being one puts in a dangerous situation now,  she must hide in a faction that will keep her safe. Confused and scared Beatrice Prier must make a choice of life and death.
Not knowing where she truly belonged or what she is capable of, identity is something Tries has always struggled with. After joining Dauntless she began to discover her self, surprising her self and everyone around her made her even more confused of who she really is.
"Um..." I don't know why I hesitate. But "Beatrice" just doesn't sound right anymore.
"Think about it," he says, a faint smile curling his lips. "You don't get to pick again."
A new place, a new name. I can be remade here.
"Tris," I say firmly.
This is the moment that started it all, shortly after choosing Dauntless as her new faction, she decided to “Remake” herself starting by changing her name to “Tris”.
There is a part in the book where Tris was in front of a mirror asking herself who is the girl staring back at her, she and her don’t look alike but she moves when Tris does. This is an important part of the book because it shows that Tris still thinks that she is the meek Abnegation silly girl, but in actuality Dauntless has shown her a part of herself that she always wanted to explore.
Despite this being a very enjoyable read, there are some things that I wish were added to improve the story in general, the first one is since Tris’s character is a very complex one, I think it needed a more structured background, maybe it’s the way Veronica Roth has intended her to be, wild and unpredictable but still a little background would have made Tris a more understandable character. Other than that Divergent is an epic page-turner that will leave you both thrilled and exhilarated with every word, wanting more of Tris’s story and the exciting and scary world that she must venture through.

8 comments:

  1. Chris: I know that there is a movie about this book. After I read your review, I want to watch that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have watched the movie and i have to say that i have enjoyed it a lot. i don't think i will read the books because there are so many and i think more are coming in the future.i hate not knowing the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sawako: I have thought I would like to watch the movie "Divergent", so I am also interested in this book. I love SF story, so I will be able to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your analysis of your book. It makes me to want to read your book :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love your bookreview so I really want to read this book also

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I read this book, I think I can strongly agree with the main character. I also sometimes wonder where I belong to, so this book might have lessons to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched the movie; notwithstanding I admired the story, I would read something that I know the forthcoming events.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your review is great and I'm excited to watch the movie

    ReplyDelete